Saturday, August 21, 2010

Let's Face It: Physics is F=µN.

If you're done with high school (and I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of you are), then you're familiar, more or less, with the subject of physics. To some, it's that mind-corrupting hour filled with fractions, exponents, and a whole bunch of unheard-of terminologies that are close to meaninglessness. To others, it's an excuse to type in "58008" on their calculators then look at it upside-down. Fortunately for us, we got the pleasure of being taken under the wing of one Miss Arra C. Quitaneg, a young and bubbly professor of NATSC14 (code for "College Physics") at De La Salle - College of Saint Benilde (DLS-CSB).

She had this special touch, an air about her that made our classes fun and exciting. She usually had some toy or trick prepared to catch everyone's attention in class, as if we were all about 10 years old. She wasn't even afraid of sharing with us her love for singing, which many of us in class, including myself, could relate to as Music Production students. I've yet to have a class as much fun as she had made ours.

And as if to tease, she had assigned us, her students, to prepare a physics-related project based on our respective courses. Music Production, Theater Design, Architecture, and others, all had their own agenda.

Yesterday, our class, Miss Arra included, had the pleasure of witnessing each others' talents. It was astounding, to say the least. Here are a few snapshots, taken by my good friend and classmate, a budding professional musician (and photographer, perhaps?), Mel Roño. I suggest you take note of these people's names; they'll most likely be up in lights someday. You'll notice I'm not here, because the camera hates me. (At this point, I laugh at myself.)


The very beautiful and very talented Ms. Andrea Moredo:



School choir members (left to right):  Tenor: Nico Angeles, and Sopranos: Ronica Mae "RM" Mangahas and Ana Almenario


(Left to right,) Class Clown: Nolan Diosana, Walking Jukebox: Alex Salva, and our resident Snapshot Connoisseur, Mr. Nomel Roño himself:



And finally, not to be shown up by her own students, up on stage here is Ms. Arra herself (with Alex loitering in the background). :P



So, all in all, it was a surprisingly fun time of showing off what we could. So much diversity in a single physics class. Plenty of energy to go around. Pun intended.

 F=µN is the equation of Friction, solved by taking the coefficient of static friction (µ, pronounced as "mew") and multiplying it by the Normal Force (N) applied. It's the very first equation I learned in the class. We all should have seen this coming. Is it any coincidence that a solution would be spelled that way?


Classmates, Friends,
NATSC14 is possibly the funnest class I've attended since entering DLS-CSB. I'd like to thank you all for making it memorable and exciting, and hopefully I'll see you guys in future classes.


Ms. Arra,
Thank you very much for taking an allegedly mind-numbing class and livening it up with your sunshiny personality and patience. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we all had a great time with you as our professor.

I hope to keep seeing you all around campus.

Best wishes,
Atom P.

No comments:

Post a Comment